New style Sunpass transponders.

Have any questions about Driving in Florida ?

New style Sunpass transponders.

Postby KevinT » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 am

For any members who have the older type of transponders (with a battery and three rubber stickers) and who haven't received an email from them, Sunpass are swapping these (free!) for the new style which don't have a battery and which are smaller in size and have two rubber stickers.

If you haven't received an email from them and go into your on line account you will see their offer to send a free replacement by post. You can then remove the battery from the old one and discard it (as they will not work eventually).
Kevin T.
KevinT
Florida Villa Moderator

Re: New style Sunpass transponders.

Postby Shirls » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:22 am

Do many of you have one of these? On Southern Dunes, I don't need to use tolls too much, but on my trip in January I was back and forth to the airport with various guests and thought it might be nice to just sail through
Shirls
Florida Villa Advisor

Postby clubhousecove » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 am

We have never had one, but last visit when going off the beaten track, came to a toll booth which said sunpass only or large fine, we had to back track and ended up going about 100km round trip out of our way as did not know what to do and did not want to be fined.
:oops:

belinda
Take a look at our beautiful Southern Dunes villa.

http://www.southerndunesusa.com/souther ... illa=SD011
clubhousecove
Florida Villa Expert

Postby villasoutherndunes » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:47 pm

We've never bothered, but have been thinking about it this week. We did 4 trips to the airport this time so might be easier. Plus our,friends are going at Easter & thought they could use it easier than worrying about change.
Di

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Golf, sun, stay and play at Villa Southern Dunes

http://www.southerndunesusa.com/southern-dunes-villa.php?villa=SD055
villasoutherndunes
Florida Villa Expert

Postby Links » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:03 pm

We bought one of the new ones last month - haven't used it yet but I am sure we will
Links
Florida Villa Moderator

Postby KevinT » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 am

I reckon my Sunpass must have saved me a LOT of accumulated queueing time at toll booths...... plus the fiddling with change. Got mine from Publix about five or six years ago. (Price is around $25 now?) (I'm sure Walmart/Walgreens/CVS etc probably do them too).

I have ours linked to US bank account and when balance in my Sunpass account drops below $10 it is automatically topped up by $20 from the bank a/c.

For anyone thinking of buying one I would strongly recommend getting the one with rubber stickers as the other smaller credit card size one sticks with adhesive directly to the wind shield and I understand is almost impossible to remove without wrecking the transponder. The new Sunpass with the two rubber stickers just fastens temporarily near the rear view mirror of a rental car and removes easily when the car is handed back. The other small hint is to ensure the "airport parking" option on your account is switched off. This stops any airport parking charges being deducted from your account.

Easy to set up the account on line but requires a USA address (and US credit card if you top up the account that way.....but I understand it can initially be charged manually by some suppliers etc.)

I think eventually there will be more toll only roads where no change plazas exist so I feel that the Sunpass was a really great buy.
Kevin T.
KevinT
Florida Villa Moderator

Return to Driving in Florida